Wednesday, February 4, 2009

ONLINE COMMUNITIES: Improved Connections

Online communities have created interactive networks that could potentially force most people on earth to connect (Bucy, 2005, p. 7). The abilities to network, educate, debate, propose, buy/sell, chat, post photos, share notes or email have propelled such communities as Facebook and Myspace to be the prime website for millions. “Facebook, the second largest social network on the Web with around 60 million members, is one of the fastest-growing and best-known sites on the Internet today,” (Stone, 2007). Through the exponential growth, people are connecting in ways never before seen. Messages and chats are happening every second. These sites are a whirlwind of young minds that are the future of technology and the world.


Logging on to Facebook is equal to brushing my teeth; I do it twice a day. Not only do I depend on it to stay in contact with my friends but it is my calender for my social and academic life. There are new applications to activate each time I log on. The messaging system that is currently used is fairly simple in comparison to Google or Yahoo Mail. Will Facebook and expand their mail delivery system? Will adults acclimate to the online communities as fast as the younger generations?

No comments:

Post a Comment